Sunday, May 16, 2010

the mission work begins...

Thursday morning: we had our first readers come in. It was exciting! Both Hillary and I had appointments at 10am, two of the three Tibetans, Phunsok and Palden. Hillary and I were worried that the 45-minute session would feel like a long time, but it went by much quicker than we both had anticipated. We then waited for our 11 o’clock appointments. Both of which were Belgians. I had a fun, older lady who spoke Flemish and French with Hillary and me. Hillary waited on a high school girl, who was hilarious. We both thought that she was great. However, she made a 3 o’clock appointment and left in about 15 minutes. We both really enjoyed working with our readers, we'll get more in-depth later. :)

After that appointment, I was done for the day. Hillary and I made some lunch and waited for Hillary’s next reader. After that, I went upstairs and vegged out, I’d been extremely tired and nodded off to sleep. Fact: Napping is not good when you are jetlagged... but that nap felt SO GOOD. I went back downstairs to check on Hillary and Nina (the high schooler). Nina had been there about 30 minutes longer than the appointments actually go, but it looked like they had been having fun, so I just joined in on the conversation.

After Nina left, Hillary and I sat next to our little heater upstairs. Hillary took a nap while I made some dinner. We were just sitting and eating when Carol called to tell us that she cancelled her exercise class due to illness. She’s been fighting a throat infection, so she has not been feeling well at all. Then she asked if we wanted to come over to her house in case we needed internet, because we don’t have it at the church building. Needless to say, we accepted the offer. She gave us directions via the tram… after we got off the phone, I walked up to Hillary and said, “This is going to be an adventure.” But we were up for the challenge.

It wasn’t as bad as either of us thought that it would be. After we got off our first tram, we had problems finding the stop for the other tram, but we found it and all was well. We only ran into trouble when we got off the tram and had to actually navigate and walk to the house. We got a little mixed up… but we got there eventually! The excursion took less than an hour, and Hillary and I were impressed.

We did what was needed, contacted friends, family, and of course, LST. We skyped with my brother, Reese (Holla!), and facebooked, you know, the essentials. Poor Carol was wrapped in a blanket on the couch watching TV. We liked keeping her company, but we didn’t like keeping her up, so we tried to be as speedy as possible. We were about to leave when Carol offered us a ride back rather than having to take the tram. At that point, that was quite possibly the sweetest thing that she could have ever done. Hillary and I tried to refuse, just because we wanted her in bed. Carol managed to take us back though, which was fantastic, just because Hillary and I were convinced that we would have gotten lost in the dark. When we got back to the church, we went to bed. Thursday! Done!

Peace, Love, and Jesus

Dana and Hillary

No comments:

Post a Comment